30-week instrumental programmes of whole class instrumental teaching. Supporting schools to deliver Core Role 1 of the National Plan for Music Education, and contributing to a broad and balanced curriculum.
Derby & Derbyshire Music Partnership offers 30-week programmes of whole class ensemble teaching to KS2 pupils (aimed primarily at year 4), delivered by specially trained teachers. These programmes are designed to meet the requirement of the National Plan for Music Education Core Role 1 and contributing to a broad and balanced curriculum.
Ensure that every child aged 5-18 has the opportunity to learn a musical instrument (other than voice) through whole-class ensemble teaching programmes for ideally a year … of weekly tuition on the same instrument.
Core Role 1 − National Plan for Music Education (NPME): The Importance of Music (November 2011)
We offer programmes of Wider Opportunities in four instrumental categories:
- Woodwind − Fife, Flute, Oboe and Clarinet
Brass − Trumpet, Cornet, Trombone, Baritone and/or Euphonium
Strings − Violin, Viola, Cello and/or Double Bass; Ukulele
World Percussion − Djembe (African drums); Samba Band; Steel Pans
Year-long programmes consist of thirty 45-minute lessons spread over three terms, timetabled at a convenient time for you. A class set of instruments will also be provided along with any resources for follow-up activities.
Benefits for schools
- Pupils are taught within a normal classroom situation.
- Performances are planned into the programme, giving parents the opportunities to share in their children's success.
- Class teachers get 'in house' professional development which augments and supports music provision in school.
Benefits for pupils
- Pupils develop their musical skills in a creative way, participating in rhythm games and singing and learning to play instruments.
- Pupils' self-confidence grows as they learn alongside each other and their teachers.
- The opportunity to continue instrumental tuition after the programme has ended.
Ask us more about wider opportunities
To speak to someone about Wider Opportunities and how it would work in your school, please follow the link below to our online enquiries form.
Ask us about Wider Opportunities
Are you a parent/carer?
This page is for schools only. If you're looking for information about instrumental tuition, please follow this link to be taken to the correct page.